lunes, 15 de diciembre de 2014

The Giver 9-11

   
The Receiver Of Memories 

In the previous chapters the Twelves were giving their assignments and Jonas was selected to be the Reciever of Memories. On the next chapters Jonas feel different and affraid of making something wrong that might disappoint his Community. After the ceremony all the Twelves were happy about their assignments and at night all of them were going to read the instructions and rules they have to follow in their jobs but for all of them it was very tired to memorized them because there were many papers in the folder to be memorized. When Jonas get home he open his folder and he was surprise because in his folder it was only one paper and normally there are many instruction that have to be memorized and followed. While reading them he was really surprised with  the last one that says "you may lie" no one in the Community lies so he was frightened but then he start questioning if everyone when they were Twelve recieve the same instruction. The next day Jonas went to the Annex to his first day of training. When he entered he saw that the doors were locked and it was rare and surprising for him because in the Community there were no locked doors. When he entered he saw the Elder sitting in his chair watching him. Then  he started to talk with him. When they were talking the Elder told Jonas that in his training he will be passing him all his memories from the world and all the things beyond all before the Community. Jonas was going to write all these memories that the elder was going to give him. First the man told him to sit down because he was going to pass him the memory of snow. He put his hand on the back of Jonas and Jonas started to feel the sensation of snow. He feel the cold air and the experience of going downhill in a sled. When he opened his eyes he want to feel again the sensation of going downhill but the Elder can only give him once a memory because everytime he give someone his memory he loose it forever. The next memory he gave him was the memory of sunshine. Jonas can feel the hotness of the sun in his skin and then he feel pain he was getting a sunburn.
 Finally the Elder told Jonas that he can called him "The Giver" and then they said goodbye to each other.

My Reactions to Some Texts 
 
  " Before Sameness. Before Climate Control." Jonas added. 

When I read this quote I was surprise because I would never imagine that maybe in the future human could control the climate.I also think that is something CRAZY but somehow it can be helpful to be more successful. However, it could be boring without different climates because you can have fun like snow. Also my opinion of this Community is that it doesn´t exist the impossoble everything can be possible without limits.

                   "Why don´t we have snow, and sleds, and hills?" He asked"And when did we, in the past? Did my parents have sleds when they were young? Did you?"

            The old man shrugged and gave a short laugh. "No," he told Jonas. " Its a very distant memory. That´s why it was so exhausting- I had to tug it forward from many generations back. It was giving to me when I was a new Receiver, and the previous Receiver had to pull it through a long time period, too"


While reading this phrase I start to have a couple of questions. The first one was Why only one of the Elders has the power of passing someone else with his same ability all the memories they were giving by other Elders from many years ago? When did these tradition start? 

Conclusions and Inferences 

I think this book is becoming more and more interesting and exciting each time. Every chapter I learn something new and I start to questioning and imaging how living in this Community might feel.  I think that in some chapter Jonas will be giving a sad and painful memory that is not going to be like the memory when he get the feeling of a sunburn. Instead I think is going to be a memory of war, deliquence and murders. This is my prediction of what might happen with the times he is going to train.



No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario