lunes, 1 de diciembre de 2014

The Giver chapter 1

     




           The first chapter was about how Jonas was feeling. He was feeling frightened. Jonas feels this way because a year ago he saw a jet flying near the community. He was really fascinated because it was not very common to see an aircraft so near the comunity because it was against the rules and pilots can be realised. On this days Jonas was feeling eager and apprehensive because December ceremony for the Twelves was almost upon him. After school in the evening Jonas family has a ritual in which everyone has to tell their feelings of the day. In this ritual was obligatory to talk because it was a family rule in which they comment and help their family members. At first Jonas didn´t want to talk because he didn´t know how to describe his feelings that's why he let Lily his sister go first. At the end when everyone finished talking Jonas told to his parents that he was feeling apprehensive because of the ceremony of Twelve. He explain that he knows that there's nothing to worry about however he feels that way. Finally his parents tell Lily to go and prepare for bed because they were going to have a private conversation with Jonas.

         When I was reading this chapter I had some thoughts in my head. One of those thoughts were some questions when in the book says "For a contributing citizen to be realised from the community was a final decision, a terrible punishment, an overwhelming statement of failure"(2).  My questions are where does the realised people are send? are they killed? what are other ways to be realised for the community? Another thought I had was when I read this " Lily considered, and shook her head. I dont know. They acted like...like..
Animals? Jonas suggested. He laughed.
That´s right, Lily said, laughing too. Like animals.
Neither child knew what the word meant, exactly, but it was often used to describe someone uneducated or clumsly, someone who didn´t fit in"(5). I think that this community is very strict because the children dont know exactly what an animal is so they just use the word to describe a clumsly person. I think is strict because animals are not allowed and I feel sorry for the kids because having a pet is part of their choldhood because they play and have fun with the animals.

         In conclusion, I think that the next chapter is going to be interesting and I will understand more about the ceremony of twelve and figure it out more about the traditions and rules of this community. I predict that in the next chapter Jonas parents would talk with him about how the ceremony of twelve is celebrate and the importance of this practice. Also maybe they will tell Jonas how they feel when they were at his age. Maybe his father also feel apprehensive. If you want to know more about this incredible book don't forget to see my page every monday. If you want you can leave comments.



2 comentarios:

  1. This post was very fascinating, i think this community has them very controlled and this summary is very complete. Also i think that this community is very closed to new ideas/concepts and that they have a lot of rules. Overall this post was intriguing and true.

    ResponderBorrar